Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The Christmas Jars and The Christmas Box

December 14, 2008

The newest members of Book Club - they can't be permanent members because they were only interested in the food and the socializing. They didn't seem to realize that in our Book Club, we really DO talk about the books!!



YUM!

I had to post this one too! Courtney's Christmas Tree veggie pizza!

CONGRATULATIONS to Carly and Courtney! Looks like our Book Club will be "mommies only" in a few months! We look forward to your new additions in May and are glad you finally won't be bored by all of our countless mommy stories ;)


Thanks to Carly for hosting Book Club this month. The books were both very well enjoyed and everyone seemed to really like reading Christmas books for a change of pace. The food was good as always. The gingerbread was killer, so Carly, you better post your recipe!! We were also impressed that Courtney revealed her inner Martha by making a beautiful Christmas tree veggie pizza!



Personal Reflections

  • I thought the Christmas Box was sort of ho-hum. It isn't going on my bookshelf or on my list of Christmas Classics (what list of Christmas Classics?). I liked the message (spend more time with your kids because childhood is fleeting and priceless) but I agreed with Libby's thoughts that the entire book was kind of a downer. I also don't like reading about children who die young, so that could have been part of it. It was a sweet story but it never grabbed me.
  • The first book on my list of Christmas Classics will be The Christmas Jars. I loved it! It hooked me in and didn't disappoint! Looking back on it now, it seems that it could have easily been construed as cheezy because of the way it all came together in the end, but I didn't think that at all. There really was some Christmas Magic in that book! I love that it has inspired many of us to create our own Christmas Jar tradition.

1 comment:

Guylene said...

I am finally getting started with the blog, better late than never! Thanks again Carly, Christmas books were a great idea. They were the first ones I read, I did not know they was a "Christmas books genre" before... Like most people Christmas Jars was my favorite, I am sure I'll think about it at Christmas time for many years. Food was really good, promise, I'll try to re-do the soup with the right ingredients... Have a great holiday everyone!