I'll try not to forget anything...
The Thirteenth Tale was the first Book Club that I have missed since its inception! I was so sad to miss it because it was a wonderful book but I had a back injury. Kerry hosted that meeting; what a great book for your first hosting!
What oh what did we read next?
The Soloist I think was our next book. Hosted by Libby, who has a lot of real life experience with the homeless and mentally ill populations, it was a good book for a very interesting discussion. I definitely think of Nathaniel every time I see a homeless person on the streets and appreciate that book for helping me understand that homelessness is a very complex problem. Funding is not the only issue at play. The Soloist was Greensboro's One City, One Book for 2010.
Next was my turn to host I believe, and the book we read was The Elegance of the Hedgehog. Hmmm, should I even waste my breath blogging about this book? No one really liked it. Guylene especially didn't like it because it was written in French but she was unable to obtain a French copy, making this one of the few (if not the only) French books that she hasn't read in its original language.
Finally we come to more recent history. Last week, we got together to discuss The Help. We had a good turnout, happily welcoming Michelle back! We missed Carly during her birthday weekend and were sad that Robyn did not show up for us to meet baby Josie! My mom joined us, since she grew up during this time period and actually had black women working for her family. I was especially interested in the pictures my mom brought - one each of my mom and my dad being held by a baby nurse when they were infants. Everyone enjoyed this book although we found the ending a little flat. While Guylene is known for her book-themed dishes, she luckily forgot to make us a chocolate pie that night...
Thanks for welcoming my mom everyone, she had a great time and enjoyed seeing/meeting everyone.
I look forward to seeing what books Courtney picks out for next time!
Here is the link to the pizza I made. The key is the caramelized onions, mmmmm! The blog that the recipe is on is actually pretty good too.
And ONCE again, I had my camera with me but forgot to take a picture. Shoot!
2 comments:
Jen, you rock! Thanks for keeping up with the blog!
Sorry for the missing "n" JenN.
Post a Comment